TEXAS, New Mexico — A New Mexico teenager who was prescribed a deadly synthetic opioid and then overdosed on it, killing him, has died.
According to the New Mexico Department of Public Safety, Michael Poynton, 19, died Saturday at a hospital after overdosing on fentanyl.
He was taking the drug at a friend’s home.
Poynton’s family said he was a talented musician and a devoted son who would often make friends in the streets of Albuquerque.
“I will never know what my dad did to take away my life,” said his mother, Michelle Poyntons, in a statement released Monday by the family.
“I can only imagine the pain that his family will be going through, the pain and sadness that his mother has felt over the last year.
He will never be forgotten, nor will his family.”
The family said Poyton suffered from a “toxic and severe” condition known as “mild and moderate” opioid toxicity, which they said was due to fentanyl.
According a statement from the New Mexican medical examiner’s office, Poytn had been prescribed a lethal dose of fentanyl on Feb. 18.
The toxicology report was not released Monday.
Poysnton’s mother, who has a history of mental illness, was quoted as saying she believes her son’s death is linked to his use of fentanyl.
Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid, but it’s not a narcotic.
It’s used to treat pain, as well as other symptoms of chronic pain.
It is available over-the-counter in the U.S. and other countries.
He always had a laugh.””
He was a little bit of a crazy kid.
He always had a laugh.”
Poyntts father, Keith Poysntons Jr., told the Albuquerque Journal that he had no idea that Poytons would become addicted to fentanyl and that his son was a devoted musician.
“He was the biggest fan of Call-All-Daddy,” Keith Poynotts said.
“There’s not even any doubt he was addicted to it,” Keith said.
Poolsons family said that Poyston was a “hardworking, selfless and compassionate man” who loved music and the outdoors.
“My heart goes out to his family, to his friends, and to his entire community,” Michelle said in the statement.
Prieston was described as a “talented” musician and was passionate about performing with his friends and the local band, which he played on.
“Our hearts are broken.
We will forever miss him, and we will continue to pray for his recovery,” Michelle’s statement said.